The Rihanna classic is my life right now. Here’s why.
It’s Dec. 31, 2022, and what an epic year it’s been. Part of what made this the year to end all years was the intense level of busyness. I did all the things – including working for 2 startups for FREE – and completely burned myself out.
Want proof? Take a look at my end-of-quarter “activity reports”
TL;DR: It’s a LOT. Like…waaayyyy too much. 😩
But here’s the thing:
❌ The goal is not to constantly struggle along in survival mode.
❌ The goal is not to place others’ demands above your needs.
❌ The goal is not to produce and overwork for the sake of it.
💗 The goal is to live a soft, happy, fulfilling life.
As a result I have made a vow to do less.
🙅🏾♀️ I have cancelled or renegotiated certain commitments.
🙅🏾♀️ I have stepped away from side hustles that do not serve my highest good.
🙅🏾♀️ I have said no (and will be continuing to say no) to unpaid or underpaid engagements. If you don’t have a budget, don’t bother. Respectfully.
💗 I have already blocked all of my 2023 vacation time on my calendar.
💗 I have also blocked off a “week of nothingness” in every month, so that I avoid over scheduling myself.
💗 I have started working with the best coach ever (shoutout to Latrice Torres) who keeps me on track, and sanity-tests…everything.
I wasn’t able to do a “hard stop” so I made good on some of my commitments. (It’s still hard for me to back out of something that I agreed to do, lol.) Of course, I prioritized the ones that I was most passionate about, which usually involved people that I’m close to. As far as is possible, I will always make time and space for family and friends. 🥰🥰
And with that, here’s what I’ve been up to in the last quarter of the year:
Book Launch: I’m Tired of Racism, by Sharon Hurley Hall
The quarter started out with the Oct. 1 book launch party for my sister Sharon’s latest book: I’m Tired of Racism! 😃 I was the host/MC, and Sharon and I were joined by Ashanti Martin, Sandra Sealy, and Linda M. Deane.
Top, L-R: Sharon Hurley Hall, Lisa Hurley, Sandra Sealy. Botton, L-R: Ashanti Martin, Linda M. Deane
(I also received my copy of ITOR and was overly excited, lol.)
Collab: Black Introvert Week UK
TV Show: Real Talk on Racism
Guest Appearance: Conversations With Danne
Listen to the replay, and be sure to follow everyone on all platforms.
Honors: Lists on Lists 😄
I made multiple lists!! Nobody is more shocked than I am, lol. Very grateful! It is good to be seen. 🙏🏾
- Favikon – Top 10 LinkedIn Creator in Inclusion & Diversity
- Taplio – 100 Best LinkedIn Influencers
- Base Mindset/Chris O’Connell – 2000+ Women Who Inspire Through Their Work
- The Anthem Awards – In related news, I received my two statuettes in the following categories:
- Product Leader of The Year in Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Product Leader of The Year in Responsible Technology
Excited to put them in pride of place in my home, and to add more to the “wall of fame” in the future. I don’t do the work for the accolades, but the accolades are definitely nice. 😊
Glow Up: Foreword for “I’m Not Yelling”
Writing a foreword was not anywhere on my 2022 bingo card, but it happened, and I’m grateful!! So very honored and grateful!!
- Got to 50K followers on LinkedIn. Honestly, one of my goals for this year had been to reach to 10K followers, as I had been told that that was the threshold that one needed to get to in order to start monetizing one’s platform. I got to 10K late last year, so everything else is gravy. I am grateful to and for everyone who follows and supports me in any way, and I love the community that I am building. 🙏🏾
- Posted about Black History Month UK, and the need to pay Black creators.
- Found out I’m in Oprah Winfrey’s Hair Tales (for 3 seconds, but still 🤣).
After this there is, by design, a sharp decline in activities. Praise the Lord. She tiiiied. 🤣😩
Glow Up: DG Sentinel Board of Directors
I was invited by one of my sheroes, Isvari Maranwe, CEO of the DG Sentinel, to join the DG Sentinel Advisory Board. Along With Topaz Adizes, Kayla Ancrum, Steph Frosch, Trevor James, Matthew Knowles, Scott Lamb, Janani Mohan, Pablo O’Hana, and Sunny Vachher.
A bit about the DG Sentinel:
“The DG Sentinel is majority-minority, queer, and female led, and has staff from around the globe. We come from many different races, genders, sexualities, and backgrounds.
We are led by CEO Isvari Maranwe, a former cybersecurity attorney and ex-physicist, who co-founded the international nonprofit Dweebs Global. She has a lifelong passion for diverse and authentic media and has been a columnist and author since she was 15 years old.
Our Board includes best-selling authors, famous influencers, media giants, award-winning directors, and more.”
So honored to be asked, and I’m looking forward to collaborating with the DG Sentinel team.
- The Women Are Worthy Network, with my Jamerican sister-friend Jacqlyn Charles
- Naked Mawnin’, hosted by Kerriann Peart and Dr. Kathryn Tapper to discuss Caribbean Identity Politics
- The Clapback, LinkedIn Live Audio with Madison Butler and the Black Speakers Collection. Dr. Jonathan Ashong-Lamptey was good enough to do a summary for us. (Currently LI doesn’t allow audio events to be saved) Get the Cliff Notes of what Madison and I discussed.
- Inclusive Conversations with Mita Mallick – “Free is Cancelled. Pay Us.” The convo was so hot that people requested an encore. Look out for part 2 in January 2023.
- Wrote about LinkedIn etiquette for the umpteenth time. My fervent prayer is that thirsty tagging will die in 2022. 🙏🏾😩
Activism & Media Placement:
Completely succumbed to the AI wave 😂 and got my Lensa photos done. It’s ok to relax and have some fun!!
Annnnd…that’s all folks! Phew!!
Wishing you all a Happy New Year! May it be restful, stress-free, abundant, and happy, under grace and in perfect ways! 🎉🙌🏾
Love, light, and blessings,
Unless otherwise stated, text and images ©Lisa Hurley/Canva